The Benefits of Residential Metal Roofing in Toledo, Ohio
When it comes to installing a new roof, you’re going to quickly find that there are many types to choose from. Most roofing materials have their advantages and disadvantages. However, you should strongly consider looking into metal roofing. When you think of roofing, metal may not be the first material that comes to mind. Yet, metal roofing is increasing in popularity amongst homeowners for a number of different reasons.
The Benefits of Metal Roofing
The following are a few of the benefits of metal roofing that you should keep in mind when choosing a new roof:
- Metal roofs are fire resistant – Metal roofs improve the safety of your home because they are resistant to fire.
- Metal roofs are insect resistant – Unlike wood roofs and other types of roofs, metal roofs won’t attract insects and can’t be damaged by insects (such as termites).
- Metal roofs are energy efficient – Metal roofs help to reflect solar heat, which can cut down your energy costs by as much as 25 percent. This can be very beneficial here in Toledo where temperatures can get quite high during the summer months.
- Metal roofs can be installed on low sloped roofs – Unlike other roofing materials, metal roofs can function just as well on low sloped roofs as they do on steep slopes. There just needs to be some slope in order to ensure that water runs off properly.
- Metal roofs last a long time – Traditional asphalt roofs tend to only last for about 30 years. However, metal roofs generally last around 50 years, with some metal roofs lasting as long as 70 years.
- Metal roofs are eco-friendly – It might surprise you to find out that metal roofs are actually very eco-friendly. This is because metal roofs not only last a long time, but they can be recycled. This makes metal roofs more eco-friendly than other types of roofing materials, such as asphalt (which cannot be recycled).
Metal Roofing Myths Dispelled
Some homeowners might still be a bit apprehensive about a metal roof despite its benefits. This may be the result of a few misconceptions that some people have about metal roofs. The following are a few myths about metal roofing that shouldn’t detract you from having a metal roof installed:
- Metal roofs are noisy – The sound of rain hitting a metal roof is not as noisy as you would think. This is because metal roofs are installed over a solid substrate. In addition to insulation, this helps eliminate noise, making a metal roof no more noisy than an asphalt roof.
- Metal roofs are lightning rods – Metal roofs actually do not increase the risk of lightning strikes, according to the Metal Construction Association. Additionally, even if lightning hits your metal roof, metal roofs are less combustible than other types of roofs, such as wood shingle roofs.
- Metal roofs aren’t cost effective – While it’s true that metal roofs are more expensive than other roofing materials, it’s important to remember that metal roofs are also more resistant to damage and last longer than most roofs. For example, over the average lifespan of a metal roof, you’re likely going to have to replace a traditional asphalt roof two to three times. This means that over the long term, a metal roof is actually more cost-effective than other roofing materials.
As you can see, there are a lot of benefits to installing a metal roof, especially when considering the climate here in Toledo, Ohio. For more information about metal roofs or to request a free estimate for installing a metal roof, be sure to contact us at All-Nu Construction today.