4 Things To Know Before You Replace Your Roof
Finding out that your roof needs to be replaced can be a bit frustrating–after all, a roof replacement is no minor task. The first order of business should be to find a roofer that is reputable and that will do a good job. However, you won’t want to just leave everything to the roofer in the hopes that they will have your best interests in mind.
There are a few things you’ll want to know about replacing your roof so that you know what to expect and what to ask for. The following are four important things you should know about replacing your roof:
1. What are your roofing options?
There are a lot of roofing options to consider. The following are a few of the more popular roofing materials you can choose from:
- Asphalt composition shingles – The most popular type due to their affordability, but their aesthetic look is limited.
- Wood shakes and shingles – These materials provide a natural look that’s classic and offers great durability. However, they aren’t very resistant to fire.
- Metal roofing – Metal roofs are expensive but extremely durable and offer great insulation–not to mention that they will last a long time.
- Slate roofing – Slate is one of the highest-end roofing options there is and will provide a luxurious look to your home. Slate is extremely durable but difficult to repair if damaged.
- Clay or ceramic tile – Clay and ceramic tile are very fire-resistant but can be quite heavy, which means you’ll probably need to remove your old shingles first.
2. What part of the roof needs to be replaced?
There are two main layers when it comes to your roof, the underlayment, and the shingles. In some cases, the underlayment may still be in excellent condition and the only thing that needs to be replaced are the shingles. If this is the case for your roof, then you’ll have two options–you can remove the old shingles and install new ones, or you can simply lay the new ones on top of the old ones. There are a lot of factors to consider when deciding, including the weight of the material you choose and any budgetary restrictions you may have.
3. How much will a roof replacement cost?
The cost of your roof replacement will depend on the material you choose, whether you’re replacing the entire roof or just the top layer, and how big your house is. For smaller homes, three-tab composite roofing may cost as little as $7,000 and as much as $12,000. Wood shingles will cost between $14,000 and $25,000. If you’re investing in natural slate shingles, expect to pay between $25,000 and $50,000. A roofer will provide a more accurate estimate based on your specific home and the roofing material you want.
4. When should you replace your roof?
If your current roof is posing a safety risk, then you don’t have much option when it comes to when you should replace it–it should be as soon as possible. However, if a roof replacement is in order due to age, then you should consider when you have it replaced. The peak roofing season is in the summer and fall, which means the demand for roofers will drive the cost up. If you can wait until the offseason, you could save some money.
These are four important things you should know about replacing your roof. This will give you a good grasp of what will be involved in regards to your roof replacement making it easier for you to communicate with a professional roofer. Request a free estimate at All-Nu Construction today.